Thursday 7 March 2019

An Unexpected Trip To The Forgotten Attic.

A dare if there ever was one.

Naturally when I would have liked to play damsel in distress my saviour ( a.k.a. The Bobster ) was at work. A phone call had to make do. Today of all days is one for fables and movies. All day the wind has been howling and blowing close to gale-force and even my walk had to be shortened cause despite my hefty frame, the wind gusts were winning.

Mausi and I barricaded ourselves with a good book and tried to block out the constant reminders of the gusts. Despite our triple glazed windows the noise was abhorrent and spooky with the occasional loud bang in between. At one stage both of us almost jumped off the couch because there definitely was a bang on our roof.

I went outside quivering in dread at what I might encounter but no, couldn't see a dent at all. Back inside in order to do a repeat an hour later. I did the rounds again and found broken pieces of plexi-glass lying outside our bathroom window. Was it ours? Well, when I walked around our house and faced the front, I noticed that one of the skylights was sans cover. Oh, that couldn't bode well.

Our attic is dark, inhabited by either mice, martens or cats and is a bummer to get in to. But, I had no choice but to crawl up and inspect the damage. With foresight I put on some old work threads, took a torch and cellphone and headed for my rendezvous with the attic. Getting up those rungs of our ladder was not fun but eventually I succeeded and was standing in our attic.

Didn't look as bad as I expected and contrary to my imagination there were no half eaten animals lying about. The window though, has lost its cover and can be called a gap in the roof now. A couple of phone calls later had my parents ( aren't they the best? ) dash around with temporary fixits that Bob and I are going to attach until the window gets fixed by a professional. Wish us luck...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment