Thursday 21 March 2019

Funny Looks At The Old Age Home.

Always good for a giggle.

Today I made a plan to coincide a visit to Güssing's old age home and our weekly shopping. Sanctioned from above-no, not that far up-only my village elders. They have suggested that I try and look in on most of our villagers who have swapped domiciles.

I especially left early this morning as I had worked out the correct time to drop in for a quick visit. That golden hour after breakfast and ablution but before lunch. Yes, timing is everything when visiting. The first resident I dropped in on, was luckily ready for receiving visitors. I had been to see her before and we proceeded to have a nice chat, catching up on local happenings.

In due time I took my leave ( the clattering of the lunch trolley in the corridor was heralding the sacred hour ) and was lucky enough to be given a bottle of wine from her. She has rented out her vineyard to a top winemaker who makes sure she has wine on hand. Well, now I had one of these coveted bottles and even though it had no label I knew what it was. A tasty and rather expensive bottle of Blaufränkisch.

After thanking her many times over, I left her room and headed out for one more lady to see. She lives a floor down and thus I couldn't help but meandering along the populated corridors of an old age home ( old folks don't miss a trick! ) with a bottle of wine in my arm. A few raised eyebrows, smiles and looks of longing were headed my way. No, not for me of course...although that old boy sitting in the corridor did have a twinkle in his eye!

Eventually I found who I was looking for but could only say a quick hello to her as she was about to be served her lunch but sadly didn't recognize me anyway. I must have come across rather odd though because I had one arm behind my back trying to shield my bottle of wine from her view in case she thought it was for her.

On my way out, a nurse walked with me and thank goodness I explained my predicament as she had thought I was rather brave to already have a bottle before lunch...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment