Sunday 4 August 2019

So Much For A Chilli Afternoon.

All a-splutter....

The other day I bought a tray of chillies at one of the local supermarkets even though they were a different shape from the ones we normally have. But how bad could they be, sold in Oberwart where spicy hot food isn't really that popular?

The last few days I had used one of them to add to my culinary creations and even thought that I had used too little as we added more hot sauce to the food. Well, fast forward to today's lunch and the plot or should I say air, thickened. A broccoli stir-fry with noodles was on the cards and I added three slivers of chilli to it little realizing that I had set a coughing spree in motion.

It started with me. Coughing like mad. Unexpected but there it was. Where did that come from I wondered but only until Bob and the folks joined in. All of a sudden coughing could be heard all over the house, coupled with vigorous nose clearing. Yikes, they hadn't yet cottoned on that I was the culprit and even taking out the red bits of chilli from the food made little difference. Nothing for it but to own up.

With suspicious forethought I had also put a tray of spring rolls into the oven and thank goodness for that. I volunteered to eat my stir-fry but gave everyone else an escape route via the spring rolls. Bob took it with both hands or should I say a plate full of crispy spring rolls, but Harry bravely said he would try my creation.

By eating my portion I knew just how hot it was and was thrilled that I wasn't the only one. In fact, he had two portions without even breaking out into a sweat or splutter for that matter.

A bit later on I went online to research the strength of the chillies on my shelf. Good grief, apparently they are Habanero chillies! No wonder it affected us to such an extent and honestly, now I understand the true folly of those fools volunteering to eat food topped with the hottest chillie there is. Of course there is a real possibility that I might add more to my food tomorrow. Spicy but addictive...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment