Thursday 21 January 2021

When Sissy Turned Into Lilly.

 A funny morning encounter along the Eisenberg Boulevard.


This week it seems that reminders of warmer times ahead are being beamed to us. The snow has melted into the soil, the sun must have been tired of hiding away and a few more locals were out and about early this morning.

 I only decide upon my route once I have trod on the road's surface. Today for example, despite it being warmer there were parts of the road ( the shady part not to be confused with the shady part of town!!! ) covered in tricky and treacherous bits of ice. A detour along the Pinka was called for. A most magical walk in itself. Fields and deer as far as the eye can see.

Most days, depending upon where I walk, I meet different people although, some days none at all. Twitchy curtains don't count. Today I met my first fellow villager on the back path towards Eisenberg's church and sadly he hastened along still frightened of me because I mentioned in November that I had been afflicted with corona. Can't blame him. Did keep a two meter distance when we passed and also pulled my scarf over my face. Oh well, perhaps once his's been vaccinated he'll revert to his old friendly self.

When I walked up to the cemetery ( have to pass it to get home ) I notice another local finishing up the watering of bits on the family grave. He came out of the gate the same time I passed and we exchanged a friendly greeting-yes,yes, from a safe distance- while his dog came rushing toward me with happy expectations of a tummy rub. 

               " Oh look at you, Lilly. Aren't you the sweetest? " ...at least a minute's worth of tummy rub and endearments ensued. Lilly seems to have taken a shine to me - her owner told me so - and quite rightly so because once or twice I have brought her back home when she decided to investigate the main road. I am sure she remembered or else I have a friendly aura.

The three of us walked a short while together and exchanged the latest on-dits. Always a source of entertainment and information. When I decided that it was time to head off on my own I said my goodbyes and also made a point of addressing Lilly by name. She was happy to be singled out  and made a fuss of and with that in mind I took off. 

About two minutes later it hit me. I have done what old aunts and uncles do the world over... I had invented a new name for her. This was Sissy and not Lilly. Very tactfully her owner hadn't corrected me but honestly, perhaps he didn't hear me either...Memory and hearing, a sign of the passing of time.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment