Saturday 23 September 2017

A Killer Bratlfett Sandwich.

Meat by proxy.

The weather turned back at the last minute from joining the wintry climes and thus the sun was out en force. Divine, delightful and a great last day for my uncle and aunt on their holiday. Even though Eisenberg provided rain and cold for most of it they were undaunted merely taking it in their stride.

Margit's Heuriger was a great choice to eat in yesterday because whilst sitting there with family I discovered ( or rather re-discovered ) yet another gorgeous side to Eisenberg's vineyards.

Bob was working and at first I didn't want to go without him but like any woman worth her salt, I changed my mind and drove there at four. Yes, early bird specials for my family...it suited me just fine because I had a pot of vegetables to consume and a cat to console. A few hours for a snack, a chat and an Achtl of white wine was just what the doctor ordered.

Funny how life works sometimes. The owner of the Heuriger has driven past me for the last six years while I was on my daily walks. A wave, a hoot and a nod for years but hardly any close-up greetings. Once we met up outside the bookshop at the mall and honestly, I have to admit that I hardly recognized him without his car.

The others ordered big meals, warm meals but I wanted a Grammelschmalz Brot. In fact I had been dreaming of it all afternoon long. All well and good but they were out of it.

" Don't worry, I can highly recommend the Bratlfett Brot. You'll like it. "
Oh, when the meals came all the plates were piled high with food apart from mine. Mine had a long slice of rye bread covered with a thin layer of this Bratlfett and sliced onions. All I can say is that after the first bite my taste buds went rapturous with sheer joy. Oh my, what a fabulous taste indeed. A meal so very simple yet with an abundance of flavour, a flavour that wasn't on track to antagonize the wine's essence but rather it enhanced the wine.

Gosh, I nearly forgot to tell you what a Bratlfett actually is...when you do a roast pork ( one with a layer of fatty skin on it ) a lot of the fats congeal at the bottom of the roasting dish. A melting pot of flavours often thrown out due to weight concerns. Well, this layer of fat is smeared on a slice of freshly baked rye bread and garnished with onions. Try it sometimes, you won't be sorry.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment