Thursday 21 September 2017

Finding A Flying Dragon In Eisenberg,

After a long search.

A friend had told me about this amazing fruit tree that she had discovered on one of her numerous walks about the neighbourhood. A tree that is sort of out of its natural habitat and yet not really as it has put down roots near the Deutsch Schützen vineyards.

She described the bush ( not yet a big tree ) in detail but she couldn't tell me on which walk she'd seen it. A challenge for me indeed. Oh, I was going to discover this exotic fruit. Kind of like a miniture orange cross lemon, in looks similar to walnuts, but with many long thorns to protect it from people like me!

These last few weeks I have walked all my usual paths and then some more but hadn't found this elusive tree. Many times did I dither in front of trees that clearly were walnut trees and often I hovered near various bushes along the road trying to find the thorny goal.

Well, this morning I almost did cartwheels when I stumbled across this divine fruit tree. Their similarity to oranges drew my attention and when I stepped closer I noticed the big and abundant thorns. Yeah, I had found it. Truth be told, I had walked this way many a times but had only looked to my left.

When I got home just now I had a look for its proper name and found out that it is called:

The Flying Dragon....Poncirus Trifoliata
Wow, how marvelous. A dragon in Burgenland, rather rare in the plant variety....

Don't they look splendid?
A hint of vineyards in the background...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment