Saturday 16 September 2017

Far Too Early To Count.

Breakfast by numbers.

Me man, you woman - you ask...As per usual my one and only sent me ahead to find out about breakfast and how much it cost and being the eh, good wife that I am or rather because I was tres hungry, I did;

" One forty a deca. "
For a moment I thought I was talking tongues or at least she answered me in a strange dialect or gosh, language? Startled to say the least, I asked her again about the price of breakfast with the same result.

Clearly I wasn't the first because eventually she took pity on me and told me that breakfast was charged by weight. Yikes, coffee too? One euro forty cents per deca ( which took me a long while to work out to mean one hundred grams here in Burgenland ).

Already it was just gone eight in the morning which surely should be prime time for the breakfast crowd but this restaurant was devoid of customers and the whole rigmarole of having to guess the weight of a Bretzen, slice of salami never mind a glass of juice proved to much. No, plan B was needed.

We had to be in Oberwart at the crack of this Saturday morning to see a tentacle of the medicine machine. No, no, nothing serious apart from not having anything to eat beforehand. That's why we were searching for breakfast in Oberwart. The XXLutz restaurant where we know they do a nice fry-up, had the gall to still be closed at 8.30 on a Saturday morning...well, they lost our spending dollars. Mackey's ( local slang for McDonald's ) was vetoed by both of us as Bob was right in saying that their egg Mcmuffin sort of tastes like a hamburger even though their coffee is good.

Hunger and irritability ( don't they tend to go hand in hand ) made it vital to find a grazing post.

" Bob, why don't we go to Aloisia's in Badersdorf and then we can shop for groceries in Kohfidisch? "
At first he wasn't keen but the thought of waiting for the nine am kickoff made him do a snap decision, turn the car around and within ten minutes we were seated in our local breakfast den having our first sip of of their delicious brewed coffee. You know, there is nothing nicer than to sit and have breakfast with my honey while looking out onto the Badersdorf dales...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment