Tuesday 5 September 2017

Harvest Has Begun.

The vineyards are alive...

I noticed it this morning as I went for my walk. There were sounds and sights that told me something was afoot. Tractors were idling, voices were heard and that distinct sound of buckets clunking against each other.

It was too early in the morning to separate the grapes from their vines but everything was being readied for it. The white grapes are first in line and I can't wait to taste the result.

Isn't it strange how the various grape varietals take different times to ripen? Harvesting of the reds is only in two to three weeks time. This time of the year is a happy time. A time to be thankful for the harvest, a time for family to reconnect and a time to reflect.

I love the fact that family arrives to help out. Sons who've left for the urban jungle long ago, come home and pitch in. Somehow I think that they relish being able to drive a tractor through muddy lanes, pick grapes and most importantly, sit around a big table with family and friends at the end of a long day.

The stuff of legends and legendary evenings...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment