Friday 22 September 2017

Whiling The Time Away At The Automobile Surgery.

The chariot went in for a few things.

The annual C.O.R. is here again and I cannot tell you how overjoyed I was when the only things to repair were a new set of shoes and a tiny bit of welding on the chariot's flank. Yeah, fantastic seeing that it has more than fifteen years on its clock. They sure don't make them like they used to...

Anyway, I booked a spot at a garage and came prepared. When I booked our car in, the mechanic told me that I could wait for it. A blessing as otherwise it means coordinating lifts and a few days without transport. Overnight stays tend to automatically grow in girth.

Bob was at work so I drove on my own, equipped with a Deon Meyer book and warm clothes. This garage is rather full to the rafters with cars, engines and all those bits that go with it and for a moment I wasn't so sure I'd get a chair to while the time away in. Thankfully the owner showed me a few chairs in the office / storeroom and that was great.

I found a chair and was transported back to Cape Town and the divine murder plots from Deon Meyer. Some of the scenes I could picture in my head as this novel is set in the Franschhoek wine region. A region I've explored a few delightful times!

The door to the workshop was open and the sound of some pressure equipment made it hard to concentrate so I took stock of my surroundings. Yes, there it was...the half clad ladies stuck to the wall, the smell of oil which oddly was nice and spares filed methodically yet on first glance it emitted a touch of ordered chaos. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

It felt oddly comforting to sit and ponder life within these environs and perhaps mostly due to the mechanic taking care of our chariot and keeping it fit for another year. As for the time spent waiting, I don't mind at all. There are certain places one goes to where time and the keeping of it should not be the main consideration...Hairdresser, Garage, Doctor's.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment