Saturday 9 September 2017

Thank Goodness She Had A Collar.

The best laid plans...

What a busy morning we've had already. The plumber got here just before eight to sort out the radiators and left close on nine. Early enough for me to fit in a walk before having to go and clean.

Dressed with a jacket, yes summer is in our rear view mirrors, I set off down the road and within a hundred meters ran into one of our neighbours. He stopped and we had a chat about this and that. Anyway, I motored on and happened upon a black bundle of energy.

With exuberance a black Labrador puppy galloped towards me. I had seen it out of the corner of my eye yesterday afternoon while driving but it was a bit further down the road. My heart skipped a beat when I imagined this little beauty having perhaps spent an evening outside in the cold all alone.

It played with me, it playfully nipped my hands and circled me with such love and devotion that I stopped and played with her for a few minutes. The puppy was wearing a red collar so I knew she belonged to someone. But who? I scanned the road but saw nobody. How could such a sweet and pretty puppy not be missed?

Walking further was out of the question by the mere fact of her following my every footstep and without a leash I couldn't take her with me. Although, deep down in my heart I hoped that someone had left her because I would have taken her home in a minute even facing family opposition from Mausi & Bob.

Luckily or rather sadly I notice another neighbour coming out into their driveway and I called out to them about this cute puppy. Yes, it belong to the next house and this pup loved to skip her environs in search of playmates going even so far as dropping a favoured toy on a neighbouring doorstep in anticipation.

It took the three of us at least five minutes to persuade this dear little thing to return to her yard but not before she'd captured my heart...When I returned home mere minutes later I regaled Bob and Mausi about this cute dog and perhaps laid foundations for one of our own someday.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment