Friday 12 January 2018

Friday Already?

January, halfway through...

The weather has been unseasonally warm these last ten days although, this morning a bit of a chill descended. Bob made it worse by mentioning that he'd heard next week's temperature would skirt the minus 9 degrees. Yikes, a cold winter after all? As long as there's no ice on the roads I don't mind that much.

Today's walk turned into a typical village adventure, almost picture book perfect. At the beginning of it I met a friend walking to the hairdresser and we had a nice chat and discussion about tomorrow's mammoth nature walk being organized by our village committee. Let's see who meanders along...knowing that there is the usual 19th hole halfway through will attract rather a lot of ramblers.

Most of the time we get our eggs from the farm down the road but as I don't like to disturb them when they eating, sleeping or relaxing it does pose a conundrum when to call on them. Just in case I took some money with me and as luck would have it I saw their car in the driveway. They were home. Great.

Along my whole route today I planned on having eggs for breakfast, that is if I could get any. Should I fry them, boil them or scramble them? It is such a treat to see those green shelled eggs and today's batch were larger than normal. What happened to the hens...too much food or just feeling happy?

Buying eggs is never just that. Buying eggs from a farmer means having a nice conversation about this that and the state of the world. On my way out he mentioned that two large orders had come in this morning and I had come at the right time to pick up my 20 eggs.

" Gosh, you'll have to speak to your hens to lay some more. "

" Actually I need to have a word with the rooster! "

Ask a silly question....!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment