Wednesday 31 January 2018

The Bargain Hunter....

This 50% off shopper was in her element.

It often tickles me no end when I realize how transient a fully bought trolley of groceries is. Bob and I went grocery shopping on Saturday and when we saw our loot we imagined weeks of eating, snacking and drinking. Famous last words as today, the echo started its rounds within our little fridge.

Time to test our transient groceries theory once more and with that in mind I drove to Kohfidisch. Naturally we could stretch our larder for a few more days were it not for Bob's lunch, which needs to be a bit healthy, varied, interesting and enough.

Wednesday is usually associated with pensioner's day and many specials are on offer. Vegetables, our favourite, are extremely reasonable and also throughout the store certain products have the 50% off sticker on them. As I shopped after four o'clock, many more items were being marked down. Divine. Two birds with one stone...nothing gets wasted and we save money.

At the bread counter I was dithering as I usually do because to plan meals ahead can be a bit tricky especially as I change my mind and menu with each subsequent isle. The kind lady behind the counter saw me looking at a loaf of bread and frankly, it was too expensive. As I put it down she said:

" If you want this bread, I am about to mark it 50% off. "

Great, bread bought. Today's fresh bread by the way. Not forgetting my honey, I perused the offerings of the beer isle and yes, a six pack at half price.

Some people are embarrassed by taking such overtly priced items but I feel quite happy to buy them due to the money being saved and a few less items thrown away by supermarkets. Ironically enough, the purported sell by date is a fallacy as most items still have a week or so in them.

As a consumer I tend to shop and support supermarkets who do mark down their wares as soon as they skirt the wrong side of a sell by date and there is nothing nicer than to see that little line on the till slip which shows me how much money was saved by buying specials...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment