Saturday 14 July 2018

Clean Air.

A treasure oft forgotten.

It sounds so cliche; breathing clean air, how would we know the difference? Over the years it had slipped my mind. Air, breathable air is something I take for granted and why wouldn't I? Air looks kind of the same everywhere that is until...

On my last stretch walking through one of our local forests I heard the approaching chuck chuck before I saw it. Sounds or perhaps acoustics are very deceptive in the open. The tall fir trees lining the road running through the forest can deflect a lot. Bird calls two trees over appear directly overhead, mice flitting across the moss covered ground create a loud crunchy tread when they step on decaying leaves. A mouse, deer, hunter or boar have a similar effect, adding another dimension to some of my walks.

But, eventually I heard the tractor coming up the hill and I stepped aside to let the farmer pass. These tractors tend to have the most torturous looking machines in tow and it is easier to beat a hasty retreat. Once the tractor had gone by, it hit me. The air was tainted with a heavy dose of burnt fossil fuel. Lingering almost at nose height, made me do two things...cover my nose with my scarf and be ever so grateful for the clean air we have.

So, passing the odd tractor leaving a vaporous signature in its trail is absolutely fine as it underscores how breathable our air really is...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment