Friday 21 September 2018

A Newfound Respect And Admiration For Those Who Were Vegans Decades Ago.

Changing times.

I've been a vegan for about a millisecond compared to those vegans who started when it was solely associated with hippies and tree huggers. Little did anyone know back then that they were heaps and bounds ahead of the rest of us. Honestly, I wish I had stumbled onto this way of life years ago.

Today we harvested the red grapes and it took us the whole day culminating in a Buschenschank meal at Bruni's. There were seven of us and apart from mum, everyone ordered Kümmelbraten Brot. Mum and I ate bread topped with sliced onions, pumpkin seed oil and salt. Delicious if a bit sparse visually compared to the others.

Straight off people assume that this is what I eat all the time. Bread and onions. Poor me. I have learnt to interpret the looks ( or even comments ) and explain that I cook and eat scrumptious vegan creations at home. In fact, my cooking has improved and I eat much more albeit the healthier foods. By the way, I love eating bread topped with sliced onions, pumpkin seed oil and salt!

You know, if you can find something vegan to eat at a Buschenschank then you can eat vegan anywhere. Buschenschanks are meat lovers' paradise and admittedly, I loved it too before I changed my way of eating, thinking and being. How did vegans find food options twenty, thirty or forty years ago when they went out to restaurants? Never mind having to verbally defend their lifestyle to non-vegans most of the time.

Like I always say, it isn't the restaurant's fault that they don't serve proper vegan meals...it is my choice to eat like that and if it means a plate of cooked carrots, bread with onions or plate of chips, that is perfectly fine...as long as they serve it with wine!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment