Thursday 27 September 2018

For Want Of A Shoe Or Two.

The art of collecting...

First off, I do it too. Collect stuff needlessly. This morning I drove a widow around the village to do the normal things like going to the bank and district office but also at the same time my car was laden with three huge black bin bags filled to capacity destined for the recycling container.

Her husband passed away not so long ago and she has been sorting out his clothes and shoes in order to donate them to the less fortunate. All well and good, but when I saw how many shoes were in those bags, I couldn't help but say:

" Gosh, he had so many shoes but I only ever saw him in his favourite pair! "
Yes, he was a hoarder keeping things for a rainy day. Don't we all do that resulting in our cupboards, cabinets, wardrobes and houses bursting at the seams? With stuff we never get a chance to use in any case?

Good for her to clear out the wardrobe as a person isn't remembered by his things as much as by his spirit, soul or character. How often are we irritated by the lack of space from our incessant need to keep clothes from decades ago. Clothes that used to fit us when we were thinner and honestly, if we should ever manage our way back to fitting into them, don't you think they might be a tad bit passe on an older person?

Fighting words indeed but at the end of the day I have a sneaking suspicion that next year my wardrobe will be just as stuffed with clothes I haven't worn in at least five years as it is today. Maybe I'll ask Bob to do it for me, but then again, Bob treasures a moth-eaten t-shirt he bought in the early 90's and I suspect he will treasure it for many decades more.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment