Sunday 16 September 2018

Unexpected Encounters.

My walk yields surprises.

As you know, Sundays are quiet on the walker's front. If I meet one other walker, that's a lot. Well, this morning I met a grey haired chap who was busy exercising his dog. Normally I only stumble upon the two of them during the week whilst walking with the Eisenberg ladies but today he wanted to give his dog enough space to tear about the countryside far off the beaten track.

On the surface it was an ordinary encounter, but last time we walked past him and his dog, a bit of the ' beneath the surface ' got revealed. This nice old man had gone to the pound, taken one look a puppy's eyes and the rest was history. Apparently, this cute little dog sleeps next to him, either on the couch or bed.

I realized again today, that one needs to take the time to look behind the mask that we all don for society's sake. Everyone has a wonderful part to them which most don't take the time to discover.

A bit further on, whilst walking past the maize field I was startled by a loud rustling sound. Aha, that could only be man, deer or cat. Quickly and quietly I turned on my camera and stood ready to see whoever would emerge. It didn't take long before I saw two young deer stop at the edge eyeing me rather intrepidly. Holding my breath and moving my camera ever so slowly into position, I managed to take a photo.

How darling do they look? The younger one seems to be hiding behind his bigger friend. Those are the moments that make my walk special and worthwhile. How often does one have the chance to be so close to nature? A fabulous start to my Sunday...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment