Saturday 22 September 2018

Memorizing Specials At The Supermarket Makes For An Embarrassed Spouse.

Bob beats a hasty retreat.

Picture it; a rainy Saturday morning at a big supermarket in Oberwart, hordes of irate shoppers filling the aisles and a wife who suddenly remembers numbers. One has got to feel sorry for Bob!

As per spousal request we went to shop in Oberwart at this specific supermarket mainly because they carry a brand of Bob's favourite chips not stocked anywhere else. In fact, Mausi loves them too since a broken piece landed next to her on the floor. Often the two of them crunch in tandem.

For some reason there where oodles of special offers today mostly with the dreaded fine print really unreadable unless one brings a magnifying glass along which, should I be so brave might make me wheel my trolley alone. Specials always sound so tempting and since the advent of our newer bigger fridge, I can partake in those buy two and pay for only one deals.

Vegan margarine was one of those today and would you believe that there were four different vegan types on offer? Of course I partook and naturally I remembered the specific amount to be charged. A fact that proved too much for Bob's promise of for better and for worse.

The tills were all operating, about ten of them, and had queues behind each one of them. We put our groceries through with Bob standing next to the trolley packing them and I keeping an eye on the display screen for any abnormalities not in our favour. You'd be surprised how often the price tags on the shelves don't correspond with the computer at the checkout.

The last items to go through were the two tubs of margarine and as I was chuffed at the deal I kept vigil at the till. Just as well as they registered with their normal price. When I started to ask the cashier, Bob grew pale and when I nicely inquired after the promised discount, Bob took one look behind us at the irate looking crowd and said:

" Jeez, just leave it. It's only a few cents after all. "
As the cashier couldn't find any notice of the deal on her computer she chose to get up to look at the fridge herself. Bob's hasty retreat saved me a reply and as you know, the milk, butter and joghurt shelves are usually at the opposite side of the check out which made for a very long wait for me.

I studiously ignored the woman giving me silent castigating looks and studied my surroundings. Honestly, I had misgivings about my interpretation of the price tag but in for a penny, in for a pound. When the cashier finally returned she apologized and told me I was right. Apologizing for the long wait to the crowd behind me, I went outside to the car and flashed our saved euro at my husband...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment