Thursday 20 September 2018

The Little Village Shop.

A great way to catch up.

I had just finished a lesson and was on my way home but decided to stop at the shop for some bananas and of course a lotto ticket ( tomorrow's Jackpot is 130 million euros after all ). Bananas were sold out which left me the lotto ticket at least. P/S, I might let you know tomorrow!

There was only one other client shopping, surrounded by the owners helping her put things into the basket. The lady in question is a newly minted ninety years old and that does deserve personalized attention.

Winter, summer or in between she goes on foot to our village shop, wheeling her shopping trolley behind her. Today was a scorcher of a day and the car's temperature gauge read 31 degrees. Yes, boiling hot and after I had greeted her I offered to driver her home. It wasn't out of my way, but we all had to persuade her to take up my offer. There was no way I could let her walk and pull that heavy trolley all the way home.

Funny how a lot of people her generation don't want to put us to any trouble and thank goodness I asked / told her that I would give her a lift home.

" Oh, but I couldn't make you drive out of your way. "
" But Mrs...., that's no problem as I go the same way as you. "
She was pleased as punch to be driven home and along the minute and a half drive we chatted about this and that.

Although, as she told me that her body is acting its age, her mind is as sharp as a tack...

" Give my regards to Bob. "
even though we hadn't even mentioned him during our conversation, she remembered his name. Bob, being the gentleman that he is, has once or twice driven her home when he had met her at the shop and he always takes the time to greet her by name and ask how she is whenever he sees her.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment