Friday 7 December 2018

Conditioned To Shop.

A momentary lapse in judgement resulted in a spot of panic.

Gosh it is Friday already and thus the start of our weekend. A weekend of culinary indulgences mostly imagined as the best laid plans usually result in the same old routine of weekend meals, but they say it is the thought that counts. With that in mind I had planned to do a shop in either Rechnitz or Kohfidisch tomorrow to stock up on the essential weekend treats!

I was in our local shop this morning ( and before you wonder why I don't shop there solely, I hasten to add that their assortment of vegan offerings are rather held to a minimum! ) getting a lotto ticket when I heard the woman behind me talk about tomorrow being a public holiday. Aghast I turned to double check and yes, tomorrow is a public holiday and the shops in Austria are closed.

Suddenly, my mind went on a panic loop imagining running out of food Sunday morning at the latest. On my drive home I incrementally calmed down enough to realize that no, Bob and I wouldn't starve this weekend and as soon as I was home I hot-footed it to our larder and fridge to take stock. Sure enough, Bob and I would abundantly survive at least another week on what we have.

What is it that makes us so worried about a public holiday falling on a Saturday? Have the powers that be ( a.k.a. The Advertisers ) done such a good job on us? Now that I have had time to ' adjust ' I have a burgeoning feeling that the next few days the most amazing, inventive and delicious meals will be had by us.

Isn't it a law of nature that when faced with what we have, we make the best out of it without wishing for what we don't have?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment