Saturday 15 December 2018

Almost A Midnight Adventure.

The magic of snow.

Last night Bob had his Christmas After Party and even though it was mere kilometers away, they had organized a designated driver. Fair enough and at least that meant that I didn't have to venture forth at some ungodly hour.

Mausi and I had the run of the house and daringly chose to fall asleep on the couch after dinner. Big party folks we are! The ringing of the phone woke us up. It was Bob and he asked if I could pick him up after all and even though it was cold outside I was glad to fetch him. One never knows with designated drivers. Usually some younger siblings who still are a bit green behind the wheel. Especially since it had snowed a lot yesterday and the roads were treacherous.

Driving last night with the snow still fresh was absolutely divine. Yes, scary too when one feels the wheels fail to grip the road in places. Most of the village was at home because I was the first tire track in the snow. Bob's party was in one of the Kellerstocks on the Hungarian side of Eisenberg. One way to get there was to go over the hill itself or a round about on an level road. Longer but I didn't want to test the brakes on a steep hill.

The roads were empty of traffic but I still crawled at a speed between 30-50 kph. Eventually I found Bob, who had chosen to walk towards me on foot not realizing that I had taken the other route. But once he was in the car, we headed back through the village of Grossdorf, which looked absolutely splendid in a wintry foil. Romantic, authentic and full of Christmas cheer.

Today we had to drive there again to fetch Bob's company car and I couldn't believe that within the space of half a day all the snow had melted away. Thus I am extremely grateful to have fetched Bob last night, as the winter wonder land I drove through is still on my mind.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment