Thursday 17 January 2019

Foxes Abound All Around.

A nightly ritual of late.

A few weeks ago I almost ran into a couple of foxes as they were crossing the road. Scary, cute and a bit too close to nature. The following few days I did change my route because of them.

Two nights ago we heard the most awful bit of howling outside our bedroom window. It sounded like a mixture between a peacock and a bark of a dog, if that makes sense. Thankfully I remembered the foxes and thus both of us were at ease knowing what it was. I tell you, the mind gallops unbridled to all the nooks and crannies of one's brain to drag forth scary bits of movies seen. So much for our minds being like a sieve!

Early this morning they serenaded outside our house again and this time Bob got up to have a look. He couldn't believe how big these foxes were. Mausi must have felt their presence because she curled up over my head atop my pillow and stayed there as quiet as a mouse.

Bob looked up online what the reason could be for them to suddenly be so visible ( we do live in their backyard after all ) and found out that this time of the year is famous for fox-courtships. Well, who'd have thought!

Normally I am not frightened of animals but this morning I chose to take an old walking stick along for a walk. Of course I didn't meet up with any wild animal apart from a couple of cute dogs being walked by their owners. Feeling so brash and bully like stepping about with a big stick, I hastened to reassure the people that the stick was for foxes and not for their dogs.

The two I talked to didn't really believe me but you know, my new walking companions was a real ice breaker and I had two wonderful long conversations this morning...about anything but foxes naturally.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment