Thursday 27 February 2020

Freezing Bananas.

Less waste.

Bananas are wonderful to have around the kitchen because they are so versatile and a quick burst of energy. A perfect lunch box resident and a perfect addition to any smoothie, breakfast cereal or fruit salad. Yes, I love bananas.

Using them up in time is often a bit difficult. Even judging how many of them to buy is often not so easy. At times the bunch bought is more than enough and at other's too little even though with a vegan lifestyle, bananas are a vital part of eating healthy.

I never appreciated how local bananas were whilst living in South Africa because now any bananas bought have traveled halfway across the world and it feels sinful to not use them up. It was normal to see banana trees, just like having an avocado tree in our backyard or for that matter an orange one in South Africa. Oh, I do miss that!

Yesterday I was watching a chap make smoothies and he surprised me with his genius way of storing bananas. He freezes them just as they are. Skin and all. No plastic wasted and no effort needed. He simply pops a bunch of them into the freezer and when he needs them for his smoothies, he takes them out of the freezer, puts them into a large pot which he fills with warm water from the tap.

After letting them soak for a few minutes the peels almost slip off the fruit which is ready to be blended. Isn't it great to find a new way of storing something that doesn't involve a lot of plastic? Next time I am in town I am going to buy two bunches of bananas and freeze the one.

Going plastic free is as difficult as can be but discovering new ways of ditching plastic along the way is nice and gives me hope that I more is to follow.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment