Friday 7 February 2020

The Keen Observations Of The Twitchy Curtain Brigade.

Also known as the neighbourhood watch!

For the want of a roadside kitchen window seat I would be part of this neighbourhood set without a doubt. Curiousity is a spice of life...

Yesterday I was spending a few hours with one of the older Eisenbergers down the road and as most seasoned villagers she has her kitchen table placed right next to a huge window, one that faces the road. Nothing and I mean nothing escapes her eagle eyes. Not in a mean sort of way but more as a means to keep abreast of our neighbourhood's going ons. You would be surprised what one can glean from a couple going for a walk, a car returning at odd times and a tractor idling past.

For her it is second nature to look out of her window when she hears anyone or anything passing ( her window is permanently open ) even going so far as to stop conversation. I am well used to it and also to rekindling the thread of conversation where we had left off. Of course at times it gets circumvented by a new thread...

" Oh, do you know who this was? "
even if I did, I plead ignorance as I am well aware of the in-depth questioning about that person's life, lifestyle and family I would be in for. Look, for those of a certain age, little tidbits about people are what makes their life more enjoyable, but have you ever been on the receiving end of an elderly person's questioning? They don't stop until the last bit of info has been shared and as I have found out, any knowledge shared is keenly questioned about how I came to know it and that is why its easier to at times keep quiet!

The plus side to her gathering all those interesting tidbits and sightings is that she is a font of local information going back have a century. I love it when she sees someone walk past her window and she dives into her immense store of local knowledge, telling me about that person's parents or grandparents and who lived in their house before they did. Ah, don't you just love conversation...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment