Wednesday 26 February 2020

The Versatility Of Apple Sauce.

Learning something new every day.

It's raining the proverbial cats & dogs and doesn't look as though it will let up any time soon. We need the rain and a bit of nesting indoors can't go amiss as long as a bit of comfort food is at hand.

Truth be told I have just returned from a trip to Kohfidisch's Spar to stock up on canned goods, pastas, dried beans and coffee. I know it has the hints of panic buying but on the other hand, should we be cordoned off ( due to corona virus ) and have food drops, vegan staples might not be on the list of goodies available. So there, I panic shopped but in my defense, all of what I bought is going to be eaten eventually. So no waste.

After making myself a cup of Earl Grey tea ( my current favourite ) with Maus on my lap and looking out the window being mesmerized by the rain, I felt like a biscuit of sorts. As we don't buy the packaged type there was only one way to have one...make one myself.

Throwing together oats, crushed almonds, coconut, flour and oat bran ( a few extra healthy ingredients take the guilt out of eating biscuits ), and a spoonful of sugar I realized that I needed some liquid to bind it together. I try not to cook or bake with oil or butter and so I remembered an open container of apple sauce in the fridge. In it went and amazingly it provided the glue needed.

After putting little spoonfuls of the mixture onto the oven tray I baked them for about 15 minutes until the aroma of baking was circulating the kitchen and then tried one. Ah, very nice indeed. Not too sweet and not too dense. In fact a perfect accomplishment for either a rainy afternoon or a strong cup of coffee early in the morning.

Substituting apple sauce for oil ( or for the butter ) worked perfectly and again shows that even the traditional methods of baking can be tweaked the vegan way and still do the trick.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment