Monday 3 February 2020

Hot Mango Pickle.

Bob and I have rediscovered an old taste sensation.

A few weeks ago I had stumbled upon a new spice shop. New to me that is. Asian spices and the name says it all. Too fabulous. Beans, curry spices, kimchis and a whole slew of chutneys and pickles. Well, knowing how much Bob loves his chutney, I got a whole selection of them. They were not that expensive and a brand I had seen about in South African supermarkets.

The lone jar of real chutney lasted about a day and a half and in true wifely manner I didn't have any leaving it all for Bob. We usually make a lentil curry at least twice a week and it didn't take long for the jar of hot lemon pickle to be opened. Not that much of a taste success judging from it still languishing half full on our refrigerator shelf.

Last night while searching for a jar of chutney ( none left ), Bob found a jar the jar of hot mango pickles and was in heaven the minute he tasted a spoonful of it. I was still making the curry and didn't want to taste it but nonetheless I got a whiff of its intense aroma and was transported back to the days of eating lunch at the Pietermartizburg Imperial Hotel. They made the best curries and accompanied them by a round tray filled with sambals, yoghurt, chutney and pickles . And that was the aroma I had picked up. Divine.

Bob must have noticed my joy in this new discovery because as quick as a whip he said:

" Oh, this is extremely hot. You won't like it because it burns like crazy. "
Who am I to argue with the voice of reason...or so I thought. Today while I was making my lunch I espied the pickle jar and thought that I should at least try it once. Plenty of water to be had should it really be so spicy hot. With trepidation I took a tiny spoonful of it and tasted it while at the same time awaiting its spicy kick to set in. And wait I did as it actually wasn't that spicy at all. Just plain nice!

What a cunning husband I have! He almost had the whole jar to himself but not anymore...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment