Wednesday 5 February 2020

Mad About Oats & Co.

The goodness of plain old oats.

One tends to forget about oats. Breakfasts often entail toast and spread or in my case, toast and cucumber, red pepper or avocado. At least that is what I have been breakfasting on for quite a while. But the other day I saw someone create a breakfast bowl of oats and co and that made me change my mind and my breakfasts.

Oats aren't new to me as I used to eat them religiously for years in either porridge form or plain with milk and sugar. About a week ago I decided to emulate said breakfast bowl and in true fashion of improvisation used a big soup plate. Actually wanted to buy breakfast bowl yesterday but they were a tad bit too much and in any case, soup plate does just fine.

My first attempt consisted of oats, flaxseed, sunflower seeds and a banana topped with rice milk and even though it was a yummy way to start my day, as luck would have it I was headed for town and picked up some cereal bowl extras. Would you believe it that they sell puffed wheat? Of course I had to have some especially since it looks and strangely enough tastes like Honey Puffs of yore.

The rice milk is slightly sweet and combined with all my bits and pieces it creates a most divine meal. In fact I can't get enough of it and have once or twice considered a bowl for lunch. The most amazing part of it is that I don't get hungry as quickly as when I ate toast for breakfast.

Now the only problem is where to store all my various breakfast ingredients. There are never enough storage containers even though we eat pickled gherkins most days and thus have plenty of empty glass containers. They of course aren't big enough and when we were in town yesterday I was sorely tempted to purchase a few cereal containers, but couldn't get myself to buy anything made from plastic.

I stood in front of the shelf for at least ten minutes listening to the various arguments going on on my shoulder...the good angel on my left shoulder advising strongly against plastics and the bad old devil on my right shoulder whispering that ' one or two won't matter, everyone else buys them and those on the shelf have already been made so what's my problem? ' The left voice eventually prevailed and now my puffed bits of wheat are still in their original package with a laundry peg to keep it sealed. Staying away from extra plastic is jolly hard but when one puts ones mind to it, doing the right thing is not so hard after all...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment