Friday 2 October 2020

For The Love Of Red Cabbage.

A new favourite is added.


What can I do when I love reading and listening about and to the latest health discoveries to do with  our whole food plant based life. So many books, so little time.

Red cabbage is one of those miracle vegetables that are amazingly full of antioxidants and also full of fiber ( nowadays the fiber is on par with antioxidants for health, and thankfully it only exists in plants and thus the proverbial two birds with one stone. ) Red cabbage should be added to every meal either as a side garnish or a main part of it. I love basing a salad around it and the beautiful purple colour it gives off.

But how to get Bob to eat it for lunch? Pretty sure that he wouldn't be happy with a plain red cabbage salad or would he? So, a few days ago I hatched a plan to sneakily add this super food into his lunch. As the lunch of the day are sandwiches ( easier to eat quickly ) I decided to chop up a bit of raw red cabbage with a red onion in order to add it to the sandwiches the base of which was an aubergine sandwich spread.(  One of the sandwiches is always a peanut butter and jam affair for extra energy! )

Lunches get made at about five each morning and when I knew Bob was in the shower I hauled out the cabbage and started to chop it up fine. Blended perfectly into the red onion and after I had  surreptitiously cleaned up the evidence, by the time he came through to the kitchen he only saw me adding ' chopped onions ' to his sandwich.

At times sandwiches come back uneaten which in itself answers the question if Bob liked them and I worried that the same fate would befall this ultra healthy new lunch combo. I had to wait until 10 pm to find out. When Bob came home I got hold of his lunch bag and noticed straight away that it was empty. The all important question of what it tasted like and if he even noticed I left until that next morning.

" Schatzi, did you like the sandwiches from yesterday? "


" You mean the ones with the cabbage? Loved them. Reminded me of coleslaw. Could you make them again for today? "


Gosh, firstly no fooling Bob and secondly, how great that he also loved the red cabbage because now at least I can add another layer of health to his lunch. Should have asked him all along about the cabbage as it would have saved me a lot of cloak and dagger sandwich making, but  you know, that is just part and parcel of a fun marriage...raise your hand those of you who haven't employed a bit of cloak & dagger, bait and switch or the pleading of ignorance at some point in your relationship...! 


Biggi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment