Tuesday 20 October 2020

The Data Storage Of Our Minds.

Our minds, powerful stuff.


An hour ago I drove into village central to collect the deliveries for the afternoon. The shop only opens at three after the daily siesta but still, mere minutes after it can be a hive of activity. Today was no different.

Two young army chaps stopping by to get enough snacks to last them through the cold afternoon-I think they are doing border patrols-complete with gun belt and pepper spray. Another lady was dithering over which apples to purchase and yet another one was searching for lentils.

This lady I knew and we had a quick exchange of pleasantries and the odd bit of information. And that is where our minds come in. At least I hope that I am not the only one. As soon as I saw this lady my mind went into first gear and opened all those ledgers which hold all the pertinent information of her and her family.

Honestly, the whole lot flitted through my mind and for good measure I mentally practiced all the names in her orbit. Grandkids, husband and son. Good memory practice. Listening and talking to people is one of my favourite things and it is amazing what details and tidbit one can gather. Nothing nefarious but everything highly interesting.

Interesting tidbits and information are the currency of any village and often it is the introverts that hold the most of it. Naturally one has to take anything heard with a pinch of salt-in some cases a bag of it-but as they say; no smoke without a fire.

Ah, the fun of life in a small village...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment