Monday 19 October 2020

The Might And Plight Of Potatoes.

A most versatile vegetable.

Earlier on I ventured forth to a supermarket and faced a common conundrum. The layout of this establishment means that the fresh produce is the first section that one gets to after entering the shop. Nothing wrong with that as it is one of my favourite sections after all. 

Monday mornings is also not a bad time to go shopping as the shelves get filled up with fresh offerings. The potato, as humble as it is made out to be, is rather a giant when it comes to meals. How many different yummy  ways are there to cook it?  Boiled, baked or put in a curry...the list is rather endless.

My one and only plight with potatoes is to figure out what amount to buy. Take today; there was a packet of 5 kg for the same price as one of 2 kg. I wanted to take the bigger packet but from past experience I have noticed that cooking such a big amount throughout the week is far from easy and often the spuds spoil and go to waste.

Storing potatoes isn't easy either. Having it outside in our earth-cellar is awkward as I forget they are there and it is a long trek from our kitchen to it. Our vegetable tray in the back room is okay but it doesn't guarantee freshness forever.

So there I stood next to the potatoes and thought up all the meals I could and would make throughout this week and by no stretch of imagination did I fictitiously manage to cook 5 kg's worth. Taking some of  them to mum was my other thought but she usually has so many that she wants to give  me some of hers.

Winter does make a case for more potato dishes and maybe next time I will pounce and get the bigger sized packet. As a friend of mine always says, these are 1st world problems and how right she is. As the saying goes...may that be the worst of your problem...

Biggi

                      


No comments:

Post a Comment