Friday 4 July 2014

Honestly It Felt Like Only 5 Minutes To Me!

" What on earth took you so long ?"

There is this divine Health-Natural shop in Grosspetersdorf: Der Blumental Laden . Every now and again ( when we feel a bit flush ) we go in there. Yesterday was more a case of me wanting to get some organic tumeric. The online world is going gaga over it's health benefits and I wanted be part of this healthy wave. Of course tumeric is the English name and it took a while for us to hunt down a book with its German equivalent. Eventually the assistant whipped out her smart phone and Googled it. Go figure! Anyway, it is called Kurkuma.

Mission accomplished and just as well, because Bob was whiling away the wait inside our chariot. Just to be on the safe side, I did warn him that it might take five minutes. These fabulous health shops ( and this one is a converted house with a courtyard, and each room has something interesting in it ) are a weakness of mine and I could spend hours in there. Bob, being a veteran health shop waiter, should have know better then to let me loose in there on my own!

In the three years that we have lived here, I think I have been in there maybe 3-4 times. Yet, the owner knows who I am and that my husband is the South African. Infamous Bob. One of the things I love about her shop is that she practices what she preaches. Stress is a foreign to her. This new-age term of #thrive would apply to her and her shop brilliantly.

She wanted to know how Bob and I were getting along. In a strange way our adventure of immigrating to Burgenland is akin to watching a soapy for folks. You know, watching it is addictive but doing it in real life, would never ever happen. For some reason the counter was the central point; her assistant behind it, she on the side of it and me leaning comfortably against it while regaling her with our little mini-adventures, trials & tribulations... At one stage I thought that surely this must be so boring to her, yet she kept on asking me more questions. At one time there were four of us standing and chatting about our life in Burgenland.

All of a sudden she turned to see someone come in

" Oh, it's you. Were you waiting the whole time? "
Goodness, there was Bob. Lucky for me there were all these women watching him, because I could see his patience had been stretched ( eh, I saw the pinched forehead ), but with three women looking and smiling at him, he portrayed a picture of happiness.
" Oops, was your husband waiting outside the whole time? Oh dear, he'll blow up any second..."
Men being impatient, must be more widespread than I thought. Surely men, aren't we worth the wait?

Bob broke up this little party quicker than you could say one Mississippi. On the way to our chariot he pointed out in detail that my 5 minutes were actually 23.

" Bob you know I don't wear a watch and anyway, they were asking me about you and how we are doing! "
...Gosh, that seemed to have done the trick, because Schatzi was as meek as a lamb and only told me 5 or 6 more times that I had kept him waiting for so long...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment