Thursday 31 August 2017

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

A change of route was afoot.

All I can say is that I was very lucky not to have encountered a boar today. No no, not a bore! My walk started off as normal and being a creature of habit I tend to follow my own footsteps year in and year out but today, as I came to the water tower, I for once deviated from my norm and took the road into the mostly unknown.

There is a convergence of lanes, one goes into the heart of the forest, one away from it and one beside it. That's the one that lured me because a friend had mentioned how nice it was. Well, I had to enter the forest proper in order to follow the path but promised myself to turn around should I happen to come across a choice of paths...our forest can go on for miles.

On my left I noticed one of those feeding stations for deer and the odd boar. What to do if I ran into one? Climb the nearest tree or grab a big branch to duel it out? A forest is full of crinkling sounds mostly made by field mice or birds but one never knows. Luckily I became more concerned about taking the right path and so forgot about the dangerous swines. It didn't take long before I could exit the forest onto a most delightful country lane adjacent to vineyards.

Seeing my area from a different angle was a breath of fresh air as in tandem my thoughts also changed tack. There was an unbelievable stillness about, only interrupted by birds shooting the breeze. A stillness that strips away all the distraction that keep us from finding that illusive inner peace.

A couple of young holiday makers walked past me. From the brief exchange of good mornings I couldn't tell where they were from but regardless, they have chosen a good spot to be on holiday. Thankfully we don't have theme parks, shopping malls, cinemas or big city activties...here you can go for long walks among nature, read at your leisure all day long, have a meal at a local wine estate or just enjoy spending quality time with your family.

A welcome sight after walking in the dim light of the forest.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment