Saturday 25 November 2017

Not A Bad Apple In Sight.

My quest to make an apple-strudel

A trip to the bakery was out of the question but my yearning for something resembling cake was unabated. There was still a packet of strudelteig in the fridge and that clinched the deal. One can find culinary intelligentsia that can transform flour and co into a perfect strudelteig alas not here. Pretend homemade stuff will do just fine!

Strudelteig, tick, apples ehh? Bob and I are blessed with a fruit orchard behind the barn and despite it being less than a month to Christmas a few stray apples had kept themselves ready for me.

Equipped with warm jacket and bowl I headed to the back garden avidly followed by a pair of feline eyes from the window sill. Enough red apples were dangling defiently on branches and were easy pickings for me.

Apples peeled, drawn and quartered landed in a pot joined by some dainty raisins to slow cook for a bit. The dough was as easy as pie to handle and from pot to oven tray took less than half an hour. A bit of butter on the edges and in it went. Bob came home early from work and I could surprise him with the wonderful aroma of apple pie baking in the oven. I know it's frowned upon to say it, but it felt good to be at home baking waiting for my husband to come home from work...

A lone red apple dangling on our apple tree. The barn is in the background.
So vibrant and strong.
Apples and dough...
My loyal assistant helping me in the kitchen. Alas, Bob and I demolished the resulting apple pie and therefore I can't show you the proof. It tasted nice though.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment