Monday 6 November 2017

Fish & Chips In Eisenberg.

The Bobster gets creative and makes fish cakes for us.

Why is it that the best culinary creations usually get discovered on a Sunday evening? A day where the shops are closed and the oddest ingredients are pulled from even the darkest corner of a larder. Bob's stove adventure was such a success that even this morning the two of us were discussing various tweaks we could do to make it even better.

Fish cakes are a dime to the dozen everywhere but here. Bob had a yearning for them but didn't think we had the right dough for them. As no cakes are the same why should a fish cake be any better? Sunday, having been a day at home, our the fridge echoed with emptiness ( we seem to buy mountains of food each week but clearly the wrong sort ) but I thanked my lucky stars that potatoes and flour weren't considered snack food in our house...

Fish, potatoes and flour we had although the thought of cleaning every pot in our kitchen nearly derailed me into making a one pot wonder. Oh well, another five minutes slaving away over the sink wouldn't kill me and so I set off to out most of our pots and pans to work. As soon as I had the various components ready, I hollered for Bob so that he could take over and create our fish cakes.

He has the knack of fine tuning any dish by adding the right pinch of this that and the other. While he set about assembling the raw cakes, I finely sliced raw potatoes, adorned them liberally with oil before popping them on a tray and sliding it into the oven.

Not wanting to step on the kitchen boss's toes ( literally too ) I high tailed it to the lounge, content with hearing the odd sounds and choice words now and then. Certain linguistic duels occurred such as;

" Hon, where's the flour? "
" Where it always is. "

The divine aroma wafting from the kitchen had me sneaking a quick peek not much later on. Gosh, how heavenly to see two big fried fish cakes and a liberal amount of crispy oven chips residing on each plate. All I can say is that I haven't had such a fabulous meal in a long time but I hope that Bob might make it again in a day or two...

A man who cooks is simply the best...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment