Wednesday 22 November 2017

Walls With A Difference.

Black and white photography.

I was in Güssing this morning to do a shop and also to look in on one of our villagers who is whiling the time away at local old age home. As you know, visiting and running the gambit of reminders that we all'll have to age someday isn't for the faint of heart. Nothing like the fun I remember watching on " Golden Girls " back in the day. Wasn't it brilliant and funny while making one look forward to graying temples, stretch pants, adventures and spare time galore?

The lady I was going to visit had moved into a newly built section of the home ( yes, the one industry that's recession proof ) and despite asking for direction I got lost. My brain shut off when they were halfway through directions because I thought I knew... listening is a skill indeed. Wondering along the long drawn out corridors of the home I couldn't help but notice the divine wall art.

Sporadically placed, a whole entourage of old black and white photographs were mounted on the walls. Obviously enlarged but nevertheless, it was so lovely to slowly make my way to the right room. There were depictions of families in the 1930's, youth club year photo of 1966 and numerous visual stories told of a hard life lived.

If they were donated by family of the various guests I am not sure or perhaps these folks hold historical value. There is nothing nicer than to look at an old photograph and imagine the life lived, the joys experienced and the hardships overcome. What an absolutely fabulous idea.

When I eventually found my lady it turned out that she was suffering from a sore tooth and couldn't talk much. As it was obvious that it wasn't a good day to visit I stayed a short while and then left. Oh yes, you guessed it...on the way out I dawdled along the other side of the corridor stepping for a few moments into another era.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment