Saturday 22 June 2019

Grocery Shopping, What Fun.

Kohfidisch beckons.

Living out in the sticks we have to plan our trips to town. Well, a trip to town for us is what some of you might drive from home to work or merely getting from A to B in your town. Trying to make stuff last or rather trying to stretch the contents of our larder for another day or two has become fun and a little game for me. A sort of housewifely excitement!

Often I add another day just because it is so dreadfully hot and I don't feel like wilting whilst driving and popping in and out of shops. Isn't it amazing how far a seemingly empty larder can supply us with delicious meals?

Anyway, I had decided to go to either Oberwart or Güssing on Friday but then changed my mind and merely popped to the local Spar in Kohfidisch. Not that they have everything I would need but a week or so without some vegan delicacy won't hurt us either. The main part of the shop was of course for our kids and their ever changing taste buds. Even our outside cats have decided to forsake the cheaper version on the chance of getting something more upmarket. Oh no, of course we don't spoil or cats...

The upshot of all of this was that Friday morning saw me wheel a slightly laden trolley to the check out. Being a kind shopper I let the lady behind me go ahead and she jumped at the chance. Well, when it was my turn I took forever to put it all on the conveyor belt and a collection of shoppers watched with interest. Especially an elderly man who had like four items was rather amused at how much I had;

" You must have a big family at home! "
at first I smiled but then thought better of it and came out with the only appropriate reply;
" Oh no, just a very hungry husband! "
Husbands are quite good at taking the blame, deserved or not. Well, I obviously had answered perfectly as he nodded his head and accepted it at face value but I did hear him mumble something about the husband having to be huge...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment