Monday 17 June 2019

The Return Of Stolen Moments.

De-cluttering my online activities.

Last week I heard a podcast about digital minimalism by Cal Newport and after the first ten minutes I was hooked. Ironic really that I get the nudge to minimize my digital life through a podcast! The thing that did it for me was the bit about fragmented minds and stolen time.

Social media is an intrusion on our normal life and all and sundry are certainly hooked on it to some degree. Be it Candy Crush, WhatsApp or merely spending hours scrolling through one's news feed to check on how friends, family or strangers are doing. Or rather, if they are doing better then us.

Regardless of how we spend our social media time, we never get it back. Even worse, it distracts us from what we are doing, thinking or making to such an extent making everything just that much more difficult to complete.

A month isn't such a long time and that is the time span I have given myself in order to reclaim mental peace and quiet, time and the ability to think unhindered by constant distractions. Distractions that are so meaningless and silly.

This is my third day of not being on social media sites and it feels good so far. I have read without loosing the thread, I have had moments of boredom and moments of introspection. Boredom is a rare commodity these days because for everything spare moment there is an App, game or Instagram. Boredom is good for us and teaches us patience and tranquility.

Who hasn't added a Trojan horse into their lives and homes, be they in form of a smartphone, smart tv, smart fridge or smart Alexa and feels as if those who didn't are the ones left behind in the race to have it all, be it all and most importantly be liked by all? So far I am quite happy to be the one going against the popular tide...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment