Monday 10 September 2012

Another mouse inside the house.

Morsel shopping at the Butcher's.

A while ago, we had our first ( well, known to us ) mouse visitor. They really are mostly invisible as they zoot about at the speed of something else ! When sitting watching TV or eating a meal, you suddenly see a flash in the corner of your line of sight. Just fast enough, that you know its useless to get up and try to run and catch it. Or you hear a constant little tapping sound in the kitchen cupboards. Must be their teeth hitting the wood ?

Living in the country, it is just part of the deal, but it has to be resolved ( these mice are rather energetic in the reproductive department and do tend walk all over your kitchen ). Our resident feral cat Tigger, has most likely been feed a bit too much by us. As we have yet to be given the opportunity to pet Tigger, I am certain that we would never entice her to go inside our house...

We have tried different morsels of attraction in the trap. Cheese was left ignored for days, yet bits of raw bacon have been the winner. Bob, being the strong husband, has to do all the horrible bits and organize the traps.

We were in town the other day to get more bacon. Bob double parked while I sprinted into the butchery. When it was my turn to be served, I asked the shop assistant, " Can you please cut me a tiny bit of bacon for my mouse trap. About the size of a match box. "
Her eyes popped wide open, and she gave me one of those looks that can only be described in two ways : Are you mad or is there a hidden camera somewhere....

Of course just for good measure, I added " can you also cut it into mouse-bite size ".
She looked at me for a few long seconds, but then proceeded to show me the different cuts of bacon. I couldn't resist..." Give me the one that the mice would like best. ".
In silence she wrapped up my little parcel and charged me 45 cents !

Oh, I so like our new life here in Burgenland.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment