Friday 7 September 2012

It is impossible to make everyone happy !

Tough Critics...

Why do we worry about what a friend said about us. Hopefully to us and not to someone else. Even voicing an opinion, can become a quagmire of emotions. Surely as we grow older, we should worry less about such rather " trivial " things.

Yet, for me, these worries surface again and again. Did I say the wrong thing to so and so, was
" X " more withholding in our conversation or did " Y " not greet me as usual ? Maybe it is in part a result of being brought up to please and be pleasant to others, so that I will be liked. Being liked is the most wonderful thing, but more importantly, it should be because I am just myself and not some " pretend " persona.

As I get to be more comfortable with myself, warts and all, I have times, where it does not matter too much what others' think about me. But it is an ongoing learning process. A while ago, I read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, which has some pointers and clearly I must read it again...
In part, this makes life such fun, because it is an ongoing learning process.

What started me thinking along these lines, were a few important speeches I saw on TV. I am in awe of anyone, who is able to speak in public. Even more so to speak in front of thousands and keep them riveted. It takes courage and conviction to stand up and state your ideas and opinions !

As I just said, I still stress myself out, over what a friend or relative said about me. So I am humbled by how emotionally tough these speakers must be, because the minute they have delivered their speeches, people start to dissect and critique it.
Can you imagine, how strong of character you must be, not to be too deeply affected by the criticism of many and the praise of few ?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment