Tuesday 11 September 2012

What an Awful Smell !

Discovering the Culprit.

We went to do a Grocery shop yesterday in one of the neigbouring villages. Slowly, people are starting to recognize us ( in a good way ), as we get the odd but happy " Hello " with recognition behind it.

Bob and I have this little routine at the check out because you have to pack everything yourself. He stands at the end of the conveyor belt and packs the stuff while I put it on the conveyor belt to be scanned. In the process of power lifting a 5 kg pack of potatoes onto the conveyor belt my nose was overpowered by an awful smell.

Instantly I turned to see who it was. Ah yes there was another customer queuing behind me. The thought crossed my mind that it was a damned cheek for her to venture into public spaces smelling like that ! But she was soon forgotten and we were driving home.

Yet even in the car the awful smell seemed to linger. I saw Bob surreptitiously checking his shoes for dog excrement and then throwing me one of those looks that can only mean one thing...
" was it you " ?

It was a hot day again, so we had the windows down with music blaring. Just like any other married couple ( not Newlyweds ) we do have heated domestic arguments over whose music we listen to. For example: The Cure versus Frank Sinatra !

The smell vanished until we got home and started to unpack everything. Gagging at the pure awfulness of it we stumbled on its source...the potatoes. With more daring than sense I put my nose into the packet and almost passed out.

After sorting that lot out it suddenly dawned on me. At the supermarket we ( innocently ) were the cause of that disgustingly and awful smell. Oh, I can just imagine what the lady behind us was thinking... How embarrassing !

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment