Monday 20 August 2018

A Buck Crossed The Road.

Living in rural bliss.

Monday mornings do tend to be a tad bit hectic especially today, as I had to drive Bob to work. Not far enough to put on war-paint, but far enough to lock the front door. A four kilometer round trip at the crack of dawn. Half past five!

The road linking the two Eisenbergs ( weinberg and town ) is notorious for buck and amply sign posted for them. Bob was driving, luckily not too fast with me in the car as I have a tendency to caution when I deem it necessary. Women do have a sixth sense after all. Annoying to husbands but, gosh, you chose us!

It was the final curve before we hit the glamerous part of town ( Eisenberg Weinberg ) that I caught a glimpse of bright orange fur about to cross the road in front of us. Bob properly saw it at the same time I screamed " Reh " and quickly hit the brakes. Not a moment too soon. This buck hopped across the road missing our left front fender by a cat's whiskers and I wouldn't be surprised to see bits of fur gracing our bonnet.

Both of us were shaken to the core and I sent a heartfelt thanks to the powers above because many a car has been badly damaged by deer collisions. Not too mention the people inside.

Who knows what speed is a good one? Drive a bit faster, miss it. Drive a bit slower, get hit? After Bob had dropped himself off, I got into the driver's seat and believe you me, I dawdled my way back home, not caring a tot about impatient drivers behind me. This buck might have harboured a yearning to cross back over again.

As we are surrounded by forests, big forests, our area is notorious for deer. At times gently grazing on verges with the odd few times hopping across the road to a more delicious looking verge. For that reason alone I drive like Granny Goo when I cross into deer territory. Rather safe than sorry.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment