Monday 27 August 2018

The Markers Of Time.

Life events.

Time, how do you measure it? Clocks and calendars are one method but isn't it often the hints dropped in conversation or by nature that make us sit up and realize that another month, year or decade have passed.

When you get to a certain age everyone looks young. Teachers, doctors, electricians, mechanics or bankers suddenly are wrapped in a dewy package. Gosh, how terribly young they are and how amazing that only the other day they perhaps rode their mopeds, took the bus to school or sat well behaved in the back of their parent's car. Now they are the ones serving you, teaching your children or fixing your washing machine.

The local bank manager who is or rather seems extremely young has just become a father himself and now has his own little marker of time. Often the years melt from one to the other without any obvious reminder of which one we are in, except New Year's of course, because for me it was just the other day this manager took over our branch and now he's already head of his own family. Yes, time changed.

When I was on the peachy side of young I could never get my head around the idea when people of an older generation said:

" I know I am 50 / 60 / 70 but I still feel and think as though I am 20. "
but now the same feeling has made itself at home and only when I get talked to by a younger person in the polite ( reserved for older folks ) form do I realize that the above sentiment is in mind only. Oh well, at least my thoughts aren't rusted with inflexibility...I hope.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment