Friday 17 April 2020

Braving The Shops.

Healthy options.

Going shopping has changed so much. Firstly one has to get suited up as though one were to hold up a bank. The particular mask I wear is sturdy and judging from how much my glasses get misted up, my mask must be a great gatekeeper. It covers most of my face and the glasses the rest. Funny, how an older gent behind me in the line seemed to think that he knows me because his ' hello ' was more than polite. Never mind, there were plenty of people I couldn't put name to face.

I am so grateful that we live so close to my parents because now I can make sure that they stay at home ( even though they are far from that! old ) by doing their shopping. One way to payback all those years they pampered me. Mum and I have worked out a system. She writes a list and I usually don't stick to it. All those yummy vegan treats ( ranging from fresh mushroom, red paprika peppers to dark chocolate biscuits ) keep landing in her bags as I don't want them to be starved of treats and also to ensure that mum won't be tempted to go to the shops herself. Cunningly I try to be one step ahead...

Today I have realized that most folks love to hoard up on chips, chocolates and processed food. These are often sold out while the healthy options get ignored and have to be discounted. Yeah, I love it. All those foods we love ( beans, greens, pastas, nuts and fruits ) are suddenly discounted by up to 50 %. How great is that?

The irony of it is rather sad, come to think of it. It is exactly those types of foods that help us attain a healthy immune system. Apart from hopefully staving off Mr Corona, it helps to keep the confinement doldrums at bay as well as the extra kilos. I suppose I shouldn't complain as so far our vegan options are becoming more and more reasonable.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment