Friday 24 April 2020

Waltzing With A Rubbish Truck.

One step ahead...

Today had an even nicer start than yesterday with the sun outdoing itself yet again. Birds were ecstatic, squirrels busy and the odd dog heard giving off the required territorial beacon. The vineyards couldn't have been more tranquil and quiet for a little while at least.

Walking up my first long hill I heard the loud revving of a big vehicle. Truck or tractor I wondered. As I heard it close in on me I stopped to have a glance and step out of its way. Yes, a truck it was. Today was rubbish collection in Deutsch Schützen and the truck was starting off in the vineyards.

I let it past, waved a friendly greeting and then carried on walking only to see it reappear a minute later. These trucks have a well choreographed routine and it was amazing to see the driver nimbly reverse up a tight road, change direction in seemingly impossible angles and all at a stop and start tempo that would irritate mere mortals.

After the third time of running into it or rather it overtaking me yet again, I didn't wave and mentally tried to work out their route as it was getting a bit crowded not to mention full of exhaust fumes. Well, I did feel rather proud to have kept time with a huge truck for half of their vineyard route but felt quite relieved when they headed in the opposite direction in the end.

Yesterday was rather comical as well. On the long path uniting Eisenberg and Deutsch Schüzten I met up with the council's mobile lawnmower being driving at the high speed of 10 kmh all the way. I could have kept up with him but thought it more prudent to slow down as it wouldn't have been much fun for either of us to travel together like an odd couple for a kilometre or so. It made me realize that I do walk very fast. Quite hard to change as walking is a sport to me and anyway, most of my walk I am envisioning my breakfast waiting patiently at the end of it...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment