Wednesday 15 August 2012

Doppelganger here in Burgenland ?

Could we all have a double / doppel...

Since moving here last year, we have explored our new surroundings, near and far. We are like kids in a candy store, wanting to try all and buy it too. Through the years, I have heard about people who emigrate and how horrible their first few years are. We have passed the first year and so far we only had a small bout of homesickness. Of course we miss family and friends a lot, but we both revel in our new life. A nice idiom would be of two pigs rolling on their backs in the mud, kicking up their trotters and oinking in joy.

When we do our forays into our surroundings ( quite often to the shops 25 kms away ) we see the most astonishing things.
Walking down the mall, possibly savouring an ice cream cone, I would see a familiar person walk past me and I would mouth a greeting automatically, garnering me the odd look, especially if it is a man. In the second that it takes me to realize that I don't know this person, Bob would look at me and say " does she / he not look like so and so ? ".

Yes, we have entered into the " Doppelganger Universe ". It almost seems like someone is staging their walk past us, because they just keep on coming. At the mall, at Restaurants, at Tourist spots and even in Denmark ( where we went holiday ). Their features are just so similar, that it is uncanny. It gets to the point, where I ask myself : ' Do I know this person from South-Africa or from here, in Burgenland ? '

Now and again I sort of go up to them, in case they recognize me and thus drop out of the doppelgangers into the originals category. ( People have been known to take Holidays ) But just my little sojourn into the Twilight zone of Doppelgangers, has convinced me, that we are all somehow connected and that what we do to others we actually are doing to ourselves...or else the stresses have caught up with me, and I am seeing things.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment