Monday 13 August 2012

Adventure walk through the Burgenland Forests.

Or rather Safari Burgenland Style.

Each morning when I go for a walk, my route takes me through a bit of forest and mostly besides it. Spectacular scenery, as you can imagine. But not just a static scenery. There is often movement of sorts followed by loud rustling of the leaves. In summer it is light and it does not bother me, but it is getting more darker as the season progresses and I do need a ' Be brave ' self talk at times !

Usually halfway up the hill through the forest, a majestic looking deer senses me and dashes in panic across the path, just in front of me. What a sight. I can see every muscle working. More often than not, having devoured the Twilight books, I look around me to see whether Edward is in hot pursuit...One never knows. But I do hear the occasional rifle shot from the hunters or possibly a poacher. From next week I will start to wear reflective neon colours, lest I get mistaken for a 'Dear '...

Without fail, each time I walk, rabbits ( the size of a dachshund ) jump in front of me, or rather run away from me.The other day, very early so it was still dim, I thought I saw a nice Ginger cat sitting on the side of the road next to the vines.
" Here Kitty, Kitty..." was my attempt to not scare it off. But suddenly it did dash across the road in front of me.
' Gosh ', I thought, ' what a big cat.'...until I saw its tail. It was long, very bushy and had white stripes at places... A Fox !

That somehow took my adventure walk onto another level. One, where I am contemplating using a walking / defence stick !

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment