Friday 10 August 2012

Fixer Upper...

Doing up a really old and rundown Farm

If anyone had told us beforehand, what was heading towards us, would we have done it ? Gosh, we were such twinkly eyed novices. Our excitement was unherded, because we had never had our own house. Where others saw ruin, hard work and headaches, we only saw the potential. ( Those home makeover programs that we loved watching, only made me see the glorious result in my minds eye..)

Yes, it did not look great, but it was our project. People in the know, where most likely having a little laugh at the various stages of rebuilding, being aware of the work involved.
I tell you what, this type of work was just jolly hard. Digging, shoveling, carrying, worrying, chiselling and hammering take it out of you. For months it took about an hour after waking up, for me to straighten out my hands without pain. But each week we would see a bit of progress and our chest would swell a bit. As an added bonus, all this physical work made us ( for a short time only ) loose weight and firm up !

We did have odd moments were we dreamed of having moved to a new ( no work needed ) house, but thankfully, those did not happen to often.
Both of us have learned and grown so much in the process. I always say, that hard work does not kill you but makes you stronger....

By the way, I would do it all again.

Biggi

My man at work.

Halfway through, and each bit of sand dug out by us one shovel at a time...

We chuffed with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment