Sunday 26 August 2012

The results of our Jamming Session.

Part two...

Bob and I both ended up sterilizing the jars. Actually it was kind of easy and fun, and quickly done. We had two buckets full of peaches which I peeled, de-pitted and cut into little pieces while at the same time trying to guess how heavy they were. The recipe called for 3 parts fruit and 1 part special sugar. As I had no scale, it suddenly brought back memories of those silly mathematical problems ! If train A is ... and train B is ..., you get the idea.

Together we mashed, stirred, chatted, shouted and thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. Proudly we filled our first batch, and embolded we decided to do some more. We drove into the village and bought more special sugar and dropped past my mum at the same time. She was all agog about how our first jamming session went.
My mum is special, wonderful and also practical. Upon hearing that I guessed the weight, she quickly lent me here scale and a bit more advice.

Round two. Bob now was 100% into this, and even went to pick plums from the garden. Again we boiled the glass containers, peeled the peaches, cut the plums and repeated the whole cooking process. But this time I weighed the fruit and discovered a little oopsy ! The amount of cut peaches that I somehow worked out to be 750 grams, was in fact 1.2 kg. Our first batch had too little sugar.
Confessing to Bob ( remember he wanted to do it properly from the start ), I sweetened the news with " You know, if it does not set perfectly, we can use it with pancakes. " and straight away Bob replied with a grin " Or we can pour it over Vanilla Ice Cream ! "

All in all we did ten jars. Like any new parents we kept checking on them and found, when they had cooled sufficiently, that the second batch had set wonderfully and the first batch ensured that we would be eating Ice Cream throughout winter...! I am sure that I saw Bob doing a little victory dance. Oh, nothing beats the simple things in life !

Biggi

It takes huge concentration to boil a jar...

Juggling pots...

Doesn't this just look peachy.

Bob spooning !

Wow, our second & successful batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment