Thursday 16 August 2012

What a wonderful Neighbour.

Great Bounty !

Yesterday morning, Bob and I set off to do a round of handing out our business flyers, and also to do some grocery shopping. We are like generals, planing out our route so it coincides with a Hofer, Lidl or Spar. ( we are on the ball...? )

We had to go to the bank in our village first, to check on something, and as I tried to go in, it was locked. Perplexed I looked at their opening schedule ( it is not open all the time ) and it said open. Luckily a man was drawing money from the ATM, and I asked him why they are closed.
" It's a public holiday today ". Oops, we did not know ! Here, in our area, one should not do visible work ( ie. that the Neighbours would see, so theoretically one could still do housework, if one felt the urge to... ) on a religious holiday.

Our plans having changed, we were driving back home when we realized that the milk would definitely not last till the next day. We knew that only the local Grocery might be open on a public holiday. But as they are more expensive on such occasions, we kept to just milk, Joghurt and a half-priced chocolate. Essentials only !

As we parked in our driveway, Werner, our neighbour with the chickens, came over to say :
" Biggi, do you need any tomatoes ? I've got some extra from the garden. " It did not even take me a second to reply.." Yes, Werner, that would be nice."
He asked me to fetch him a container, which I promptly did. He said he would bring them over just now. Thanking him, I dashed back into the house to do a quick and fast tidy up.

I need not have bothered, because he just went to our gate with his offerings. Can you believe it, he also gave us 10 freshly laid eggs and a whole lot of tomatoes. How wonderful and nice is that.

It is extra special, because Werner told me that the local Fox had gotten hold of four of his hens. How awful, but I know that that is how nature works. The hens kept on flying over his fence on walkabouts and thus sealed their own fate. Enquiring whether the Cockerel had survived, he told me that he is to heavy ( and possibly lazy ) to fly over the fence.

Biggi

What a bounty !

No comments:

Post a Comment