Thursday 9 August 2012

My hundredth blog entry !

One of the main reasons I moved here to Burgenland.

We only live about 2 kilometers from the Hungarian border. Even though Hungary is part of the E.U. they have kept their own currency ( Forint ). That could possible be the reason why everything is so much cheaper there. Groceries, Labour, Medical etc.
A lot of Austrians go shopping in Hungary. Of course the language is a bit of problem, but if you know what you want, it is fine.

My parents took their car to be repaired in Hungary, and asked me to follow them and drive them home. It sounds like a huge excursion, but it was about a 20 kilometer trip. I love driving around and exploring my new surroundings. Everywhere I go is just so beautiful. Especially now in summer, with all those stunning greens interspersed with colourful yellows, beiges and whites. A feast for the eyes !

Hungary was an Eastern Bloc member until fairly recently, and it is so interesting to see the difference in houses and roads, as you enter into it. It somehow seems as if we are travelling back in time. Yet in between the old homes, newer and more modern homes are sprouting up.
They say that Burgenland used to be at the end of Europe, but now we are at the heart of it.

For me, yesterday was again very special. For years I lived on the other side of the world and not near my family. Just being able to do a little thing, such as fetching them from an errand, is precious to me. When you have to live without family, you then learn to appreciate and treasure them...

Biggi

Just took this while waiting in Hungary.

No comments:

Post a Comment