Monday 27 August 2012

How to get off the couch Gracefully...

Oh, the things I could do in my twenties...

We have a nice two-seater sleeper couch in our lounge placed perfectly in front of the TV. Most evenings, at six o'clock, I pull it out and make a cozy little bed-haven-TV-island. Nothing beats watching television while lounging comfortably.

Of course, there is one draw back. It is just off the floor, similar to a mattress. In my twenties, that would have posed no problem. Last night, Bob and I were in hysterics, imagining how gracefully and elegantly I would have gotten on and off the floor ( just picture a Gazelle ).

But now in my forties, getting off the floor gracefully, is rather a challenge and I dare say, that the youthful actions of my twenties won't return in that regard... In my defense, I do have a " bad " knee, so it is even more challenging. Somehow, I perfected my exit of the floor, by first getting on all fours, then slightly turning to my side and getting up backwards. Hands and feet are placed into funny positions accompanied by a series of grunts. Now and again I catch Bob having a giggle to himself.

It would not be so bad, if it was one or two " exits ", but no, often I will watch TV and suddenly wonder if I turned the stove off/on, switched off the light, locked the front door or even have a yearning for chocolate ! Most evenings, there are an average of 10 " getting-up's ". Obviously the lying down on it is also not that visibly stunning.

The one great thing is, that Bob is also in his forties, and you know what that means... he somehow does not look so agile, getting off the couch either. Oh, the joys of being married and having fun together !

Biggi

It looks easier than it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment